"Like" my Facebook page for more pictures & updates

Sunday 8 July 2012

Pickled Japanese Cucumber

There's this little japanese ramen shop near where I stay and once in a while, we will drop by to have some kimchi ramen there. They will serve pickled japanese cucumber before the ramen arrives and I super love them! Unfortunately there's always only 3-4 slices... LOL.. and I gobble them up pretty quickly.


So, I decided to google and search for the recipe on how to make my own pickled japanese cucumber and I merged two recipes that I found online because of the taste I wanted :)

Here it is :

2-3 japanese cucumber (or seedless cucumbers)
3/4 teaspoon of fine grain sea salt (I used normal salt cos I don't have sea salt)
10 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 glass jar 
plastic shrink wrap

1. Wash the cucumbers and pat them dry. Cut the cucumber into 1/2 inch slices and place them in the glass jar. Gently press down if the slices don't fit.
2. Mix the salt, water, rice vinegar and sugar in a separate container and pour them over the cucumber slices. Cover the top of the jar with plastic wrap and screw tight (the plastic prevents the vinegar from reacting with the metal on the lid and affecting the taste of the pickle).
3. Put the cucumber in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. Remember to shake the jar up and down occasionally to allow all the cucumber to be marinated well. 
4. Remember to reseal the jar with plastic wrap each time you take some of the pickles out of the jar to ensure freshness.

*I added sesame and sprinkles of japanese gourmet topping (furikake) for added taste :) You can add soy sauce, sesame oil according to your preference as well... 

Enjoy! It's really refreshing especially when chilled! :)

Eve

No comments: