"Like" my Facebook page for more pictures & updates

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Will you be there?

Terry Fox Run is happening in our very own backyard in KL this coming Sunday morning on the 4th November 2007. The venue will be Lake Gardens. Time 830 am.

Do you know who Terry Fox is and what the run is for? Terry Fox was a cancer patient. He was diagnosed with bone cancer at the tender age of 18. His right leg had to be amputated 15cm above the knee.

Moved by the suffering of fellow cancer patients, especially young children, he resolved to run across Canada to raise funds for cancer research. He trained for 18 months and ran with his prosthetic leg for 5,000km.

Fox started in Newfoundland on April 12, 1980, and ran about 42km (the length of a marathon) every day. He asked the Canadian Cancer Society to support his run. “I’m not a dreamer, and I’m not saying this will initiate any kind of definitive answer or cure to cancer, but I believe in miracles. I have to.”



I don’t feel that this is unfair. That’s the thing about cancer. I’m not the only one, it happens all the time to people. I’m not special. This just intensifies what I did. It gives it more meaning. It’ll inspire more people. I just wish people would realise that anything’s possible if you try; dreams are made possible if you try.” – Terry Fox (1958-1981)

My grandfather passed away from colon cancer. But it's not solely because of him that I will be there. I will be there because I want to. I know I don't have the stamina to run the whole 6.5 km but I resolve walk till I reach the finish line. I know I can. Terry did more than that. What's 6.5 km?

No registration required. Just be at Lake Gardens at 830 am on the 4th November 2007.



I want to make a difference. Do you?


Quirky

No comments: